Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Forsaken part Three


 
There was a high pitched screeching noise as the cars made impact then the world went black. I felt like I was floating around but everything around me was so dark.  I heard a weak murmuring.

 “Christy, please!” this time the murmuring was louder. I could see faint traces of light. “Christy please baby wake up!” I blinked. That is Jake’s voice but why is he crying?

“Jake?” I called out into the darkness. “Where are you?”

“I am right here honey!” Jake wrapped his fingers around mine.

Is this a dream? I fluttered my eyes until they opened. There was Jake leaning over me with a big smile on his unshaven haggard looking face. “What happen to you Jake you look like you’ve been awake for days?” I croaked out.

Jake laughed kissing my forehead carefully. “I have been. I haven’t left your side for even a second since they brought you in here.”

Since they brought me in here? I looked around at the white walls and ceiling the green ugly chair. The IV stand to the left of Jake and all the monitors to his right.

“Why am I here?” I tried to sit up but my ankles and wrists were strapped to the bed rails.  “Jake?” I cried.

“Hey take it easy!” Jake pushed my hair back out of my face. “I will tell you everything you just have to promise to stay calm.”

How am I supposed to stay calm? I am strapped to a hospital bed with no memory of how I got here.  Jake stroked the side of my cheek.

“You were on the way back to the trailer to get your stuff. You were maybe five hundred yards away from the turn off when your car died in the middle of the four way intersection.” He began.  “An eye witness said you were trying to get the car to restart but it just wouldn’t turn over, all of a sudden a car came barreling down the road behind you and smash into the back of your car.

The driver of the other car was pretty drunk so by the time he seen you it was already too late. The force of the impact pushed the trunk of your car into the back of the driver’s seat which pushed the car into the light pole across the road.

You were pretty banged up and for a while there it looked like we might lose you both.” He paused letting the words settle in around me.

I looked up with tears in my eyes. “The baby did I lose it?”

Jake shook his head. “You both made it.”

I sighed in relief as tears rolled down my cheek. “Is the other driver okay?”

 “He needed minor surgery but he lives to see another day.” He turned his head sideways to avoid meeting my eyes like he does when he is hiding something.

My heart stood still.

“Jake what aren’t you tell me?”

He sighed. “Christy will you please slow it down a little okay? You just woke up after being in a coma for three days. I promise you will get all the answers you need but just not all at once okay?”

 “Three days? Did I miss much?” I joked trying to lighten his mood.

He laughed. “I told my parents about the baby, they are surprisingly happy at the prospect of being grandparents. I of course had to promise to marry you after the entire lot of expecting grandfather’s found out.” He paused. “What do you say? Will you be my wife?”

I closed my eyes as fresh tears flooded them. “Once you graduate from College I would be honored to marry you.” I whispered.

Jake laughed. “You’re so stubborn.” He kissed my forehead again.

“You will marry this boy before he leaves for college and live with me while he is gone.” A voice ordered softly from the doorway to my room.

I turned my head slowly as a tall man with graying black hair, strong jaw line, and a set of blue eyes I’d recognize anywhere stepped into my room.  My breath caught it was no other than Frank Jacobs my father.

“I am just going to leave you two alone for a few minutes.” Jake let go of my hand. “I’ll be just down the hall telling my parents the good news.”

“Dad is that you?”

“Yes my daughter.” He answered stepping up to my bedside.

I started to weep. He reached out his hand towards me shaking his head as he brushed tears away from my eyes. “Don’t cry my beautiful daughter. I am here now and promise to never leave your side again until you say “Hey old-man you get lost now” Okay?” He asked with a chuckle.  I had forgotten how funny I used to find his jokes.

“I might never let you go again.” I met his sparkling blue eyes.

“Then I would be a very lucky and happy man.” He wiped a tear away from his own eye. “I almost lost you my jewel without ever knowing you. It was the single scariest moment of a father’s life.” He explained.

I smiled up. “I am sorry we had to meet like this for us to finally see each other again but I didn’t know you were ever even in touch with me.” 

He nodded.  “Jake told me about the confrontation he walked up on between you and Jeanne. I had a few lawyers and investigators look into it further and learn a lot of things I hadn’t been aware of but that is behind us now. “

I bit my lip. “Is Jeanne going to jail for stealing my money?” I asked.  I was having a change of heart. Call it the miracle of second chances wearing me down. I just didn’t want to see her locked up in some jail cell.

My father cleared his throat. “No Jeanne will not be going to jail for her crimes. She is already paying for crimes.” He paused to sit down in the chair beside my bed. “There is no easy way of saying this but Jeanne was in the car that hit you.  I am sorry honey but your mother died at the scene.” He lowered his head either out of respect for me or out of respect for the woman that he once called his wife. I had a feeling it was a little of both.

My mother is dead? My mother was in the car that smashed into me? It was a lot to take in all at once. I laid my head back on the pillow and closed my eyes as my mind began processing what my father had just said to me. I can’t say there isn’t a slight sting of pain for the loss of my mother.

I would have to be heartless not to feel something but it wasn’t to the degree I thought it would be.  I opened my eyes. “I am okay.” I assured him.

My father grinned down at me. “I knew you would be my sweet girl!” 

A few minutes later a couple of nurses appeared. One released the straps on my arms and legs while the other checked all my vitals. I was just listening to the whooshing sound of my baby’s heartbeat when Jake reappeared with his parents.

A smile broke across all their lips at the sound of the little life growing inside of me.  Mr. Jennings put his arm around Jake’s shoulder. He was beaming with a smile so large I wondered if his face was being to hurt.

  Mrs. Jennings walked up next to the bed and placed her hand over my mine. “Thank god, you are alright! I don’t know what any of us would have done if we lost you. Christy, you are not just my son’s girlfriend. I never have seen you that way. You are every bit my daughter as much as Megan.”

“We just need to make it official” Mr. Jennings agreed.

I smiled. “Once Jake finishes college we will.”

“Nonsense,” Mr. Jennings waved his finger at me. “Jake will go to college, and so will you. You’ll be married with a beautiful child and more help than necessary. You and this child are a blessing and a miracle to this family. It’s time you accept that Christy. We all love you!”

As the sun, began to fade into the distance. I watch these two separate families bond into one. I knew than all my fears were not rational because this child would have a better life than I could have ever dreamed of because he or she is already loved and wanted by all of its family.

   Most importantly she has two parents that not only love him or her but each other as well. I know some would say it was a divine power that saved us in that accident. I choose to believe we were forsaken for love. 
 
                                       The End
 
Email me - Tell what you think. Make a suggestion. What story would you  like to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment