Saturday, May 4, 2013

Recipe For Disaster: Tales From A Sleep Deprived Writer!

Welcome to the third installment! I can hardly believe a whole week has past since my last post. Where did the time go? I 've asked myself that same question all week as I worked (not) on my novel. I've spent countless hours in front of my computer yet as I look over the pages of my manuscript I am baffled by the lack of progress.

The first thought pops into my head. "Did you remember to save all your work?" I immediately start reading the last forty pages.
 
Here is a list of what happened next.
 
1. I fixed a couple of grammar mistakes.
 
2. I rewrote about 10 lines on five pages.
 
3. I rewrote two full pages that I felt was not working right.
 
4. I  took a short phone call during which I logged on to Facebook. I spent the next two hours reading pictures, posts, and new articles. I also discovered a neat game called "Word pyramided"

5. I read a few more pages then decided it was time to eat dinner.

6. I read a little more but realized it been a while since I checked my email....so of course I log in and  (drum roll please) I have messages telling me I have new followers on Twitter.

7. I log into twitter to thank my new followers then spend an hour or more reading tweets.

8. I decide to take a break for a little while. I spend some time with my kids & playing with my cat.

9. I'm well rested so back to reading... Yes I actually finish this time.

10. I realize I've wasted about 9 hours on something that should have taken me no more than an hour to complete.

The second thought that pops into my head. "I wonder if I have ADHD?"

I staying true to fashion had to look it up on WebMD. What I discovered there is one I am not ADHD but could possibly be an elephant! Not really but if you have ever used the symptom checker than you might have gotten that poor attempt at a joke! 

The last thought that popped into my head. "How many hours of sleep have I actually gotten this week?"The Answer 24 hours total. I've seen 3 in the morning at least twice this week. I've stay up writing two night in a row. I don't even remember Monday at this point. I am in need of some serious sleep!!

What I learned from this experience:

1. Sleep is vital!

2. Facebook is a distraction (Evil) and should not be used during writing time.

3. Emails will wait!

4. There will always be something interesting on Twitter so stay clear of it as well.

5. Do not make corrections to your manuscript until you are ready for the editing process.

6. It's okay to take time off or step away for a while!


On the plus side I did manage to complete a chapter amongst all the confusion. I also manage to create a poem for the novel I am working on so that was a rewarding moment this week. I've decided to post it here for your enjoyment! My way of saying thank you for suffering through this weeks blog with me!

When time aligns With clouds that bind

A Princess mind will be shattered

Untruths spoken will splinter

Broken lips will part the truth                   

Let rusted hands rewind

So an object long forgotten

Can spring forth with new life

Heed the written siren call

The powers will be withdrawn

A new empire will rise from her blood

As the Princess falls from ash to dust












 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment